Center for Clinical Genetics
Uta Lichter-Konecki, MD, PhD
- Visiting Professor of Pediatrics, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
- Director, Metabolism Program
- Director of the Medical Biochemical Genetics Fellowship Program
- Board certified in Clinical Genetics, Clinical Biochemical Genetics, and in Pediatrics in Germany
- MD, PhD, Ruprecht-Karls-University, Heidelberg, Germany
- Residency, Children’s Hospital, Department of Pediatrics, University of Heidelberg, Germany.
- Fellowship, Clinical Genetics and Clinical Biochemical Genetics, Metropolitan Washington, D.C. Medical Genetics Training Program at the National Human Genome Research Institute (NHGRI), NIH.
My main research interest is understanding the causes of intellectual disability (ID) in patients with metabolic diseases and developing neuroprotective therapies to prevent compromise of intellectual function through translational research and improvement of treatment. My research studies are focused on Phenylketonuria and Urea Cycle Disorders where I hope to improve patients’ lives through progressive translational research, innovative clinical research, and excellence in clinical care. In my clinical practice I see patients with all inborn errors of metabolism and all other genetic diseases.