Center for Clinical Genetics
Lina Ghaloul-Gonzalez, MD
- Research Assistant Professor of Pediatrics, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
- MD degree, University of Aleppo, Aleppo, Syria
- Residency in Internal Medicine, State University of New York at Buffalo, Buffalo, NY
- Residency in Medical Genetics, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center UPMC, Pittsburgh, PA
- Fellowship in Medical Biochemical Genetics, University of Pittsburgh medical center UPMC, Pittsburgh, PA
My research interest is in the implementation of next gene sequencing (NGS) and bioinformatics analysis in the diagnosis of genetic disorders and the modern approach to medicine. I have been working on several research projects including “the use of whole exome/genome sequencing in families suggesting genetic disorder with no known diagnosis” as well as “the use of NGS in critically ill neonates in making the diagnosis and targeting treatment to the underlying diagnosis”. I have special interest in the genetic disorders in the plain communities such as the Amish and Mennonites. I believe that broad application of clinical genomics will enable community-centric precision medicine to this medically underserved group, improving population health with lower cost.