Center for Clinical Genetics
Prenatal Genetics Clinic
The Center for Medical Genetics and Genomics at Magee-Womens Hospital is a comprehensive clinical genetics service offering genetic counseling and prenatal diagnosis testing procedures. Our team of genetic counselors provides genetic counseling for various referral indications:
- A personal or family history of a:
- genetic disorder (such as cystic fibrosis)
- birth defect (such as cleft lip)
- chromosome abnormality (such as Down syndrome)
- intellectual/developmental disability
- repeated pregnancy losses (miscarriages or stillbirths)
- Exposure to anything that may have a harmful effect on an unborn child.
- Some medicines
- Alcohol/Street drugs
- Some infections
- High risk for certain genetic diseases in individuals of African American, Ashkenazi Jewish, or Mediterranean ancestry, or another ethnic group
- A pregnancy that may be at high risk for complications or birth defects based on results of an ultrasound (sonogram) or blood test
- A recent pregnancy resulted in miscarriage or stillbirth
Genetic counseling sessions include a review of the family history. The genetic counselors provide complete and accurate information about genetic disorders and risk factors. They determine an individual’s risk for having a child with a particular disorder and explain genetic testing options that are available, including diagnostic and screening tests, pre-conceptional carrier and preimplantation options. Individuals or couples can use this information as they make decisions about becoming parents.
Our obstetrical geneticists have many years of experience performing chorionic villus sampling (CVS) and amniocentesis.
|Magee-Womens Hospital of UPMC
300 Halket St.- Suite 1651
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
|8:00 am-3:30 pm M-F|